1967 Ford Mustang GT Restomod
This 1967 Ford Mustang is a no-expense-spared resto-mod. While some people paint a car, reupholster the seats, throw on some flowmasters, a new set of wheels, and call it good. This particular owner of this Mustang has invested over a thousand hours at a cost of $130,000 on this build, with receipts to prove it.
Beginning with a straight and rust-free donor car, the owner proceeded to build the ultimate '67 Mustang. He enlisted several of the best Mustang, classic, and muscle car shops in the Bay Area for the build:Golden West Auto Body Specialists handled the body, paint and assembly
- Canadian Performance Specialists handled all mechanical assembly and fabrication
- Parts were supplied by Restoration Parts Source
- Sure Fit seat covers did the upholstery
- Exhaust is by Neil's Mufflers
1) The drivetrain consists of a correct 390 big block engine, which was completely stripped down, cleaned, decked and line honed. It is fitted with a full roller valvetrain, custom grind cam and fully forged rotating assembly. ARP fasteners are used throughout. It breathes in through a Holley 4-barrel carburetor and an aluminum dual plane intake manifold. Exhaust exits the heads through iron manifolds (due to size constraints of the engine bay), out to a custom highlow dual exhaust.
2) The ignition system is a modern electronic by MSD distributor & spark box.
3) The C6 transmission was replaced with an upgraded, brand-new Tremec TR-3550, 5 speed overdrive, manual gearbox.
4) The 9" differential was completely stripped down and rebuilt with 3.70:1 gears, 28 spline axles, new LSD.
5) Brakes are by Stainless Steel Brakes Corp., which feature oversized vented discs, and 4-piston calipers all around.
6) The steering is by Total Control Products, and is a completely modern rack and pinion setup, which increases feel and has a much higher ratio than stock, making around town cruising easier.
7) The suspension bracing underneath the car and underhood are also provided by Total Control. There is a triangulated strut brace, welded-in subframe connectors, and a panhard bar at the rear.
8) Shocks front and rear are made custom for this application by Vari-Shock. These are double adjustable front and rear (high and low speed compression and rebound damping) and height adjustable at the front. The original front strut suspension was replaced with a modern, double A-arm setup, which relocated mounting points and improve handling over the original strut front suspension.
9) A modern A/C system has been fitted, with all new parts throughout. The original A/C levers inside the car have been retained and retro fitted to function with the new system.
10) The interior has been completely modernized as well, with Flofit bucket seats with upholstery to mimic the original style.
11) All guages were sent out and rebuilt to new specs. The interior lighting has been upgraded to LED, which makes them much more easily legible at night.
12) There is a modern stereo with six speakers, and an iPod adapter hidden in the compartment under the radio.
13) It has a brand new cloth power convertible top.
14) The body was stripped to bare metal, media blasted, and inspected for corrosion on a rotisserie before being primered, and then sprayed a dark metallic grey.
15) All bumpers and trim were sent out and replated.
16) Glass was replaced with new correct pieces. Alll new window felts, trim, and weatherstripping have been installed.This car has been completely disassembled, modified and reassembled. There is not one bolt, screw, fitting, washer, or other part that was not removed, replaced, upgraded or replated. There are a little over 3,700 miles on the odometer, which reflects the mileage since the completion of the car in 2012.
It started life as a 1967 Mustang GT 390-4V Convertible. It was completed on schedule at the Metuchen plant on November 16, 1966. It was the 46,815th Ford vehicle built there. It was originally configured as:
Y Dark Moss Green exterior paint code #2039-A
6G Ivy Gold decor bucket seat interior
16L Scheduled for build 11/16/66
16 Philadelphia ordering district
D 3.25 Limited slip
U C6 Select-shift Cruise-o-matic
Order type: Company Lease Plan
DSO Item # 5963
Ford Motor Company
Ordered with the following options:
White power top w/ glass backlite
GT equipment group
Convenience control panel
Courtesy light group
F70-14 Wide Oval tires
White sidewall nylon tires
Rocker panel moulding
Deluxe steering wheel
Air conditioning Selectaire
AM 8-Track stereo radio
Exterior decor group
Interior decor group
Deluxe seat belts
Styled steel wheelsC6 Auto
According to the Marti report this is one of:
1) 4,315 cars with this paint code
2) 155 ordered with these paint & trim codes
3) 1,135 ordered with these engine/transmission codes
4) 2,139 ordered with this DSO
5) 2,341 with the GT Equipment group